5 Mitsubishi Outlander CVT Transmission Problems and Solutions – The Mitsubishi Outlander is a very popular car. Almost the whole world knows this Japanese car. In the USA alone, sales in 2021 exceed 100,000 units. Mitsubishi’s motto is “Drive Your Ambition”, a slogan that has deep meaning. In addition, the motto has a reputation for being a fun and safe car.
With a 10-year/100,000-mile warranty, the Outlander has become Mitsubishi’s flagship car with demand exceeding supply. Despite its popularity, Outlander is not immune from reliability issues. The Mitsubishi Outlander CVT transmission causes erratic shifts and hesitancy. Unexpected shifting of the Outlander transmission has left the driver in a dangerous situation on the road.
In this article, I will discuss the damage to the Mitsubishi Outlander CVT transmission. Through some experience in handling cases of Mitsubishi Outlander CVT transmission problems and of course other information, we try to uncover the existing problems. In addition, we also try to share experiences in terms of solutions related to the problems that we convey.
Mitsubishi Outlander CVT Transmission
Mitsubishi equips its very popular car, the Outlander, with a continuously variable transmission. We know this type of transmission with the name CVT.
Unlike traditional automatic or manual transmissions, CVT transmissions do not have a fixed number of gears. In contrast, the CVT transmission has endless gear ratios. Gear ratios allow the Outlander to change speeds without shifting gears.
Because it allows smooth changes without difficult shifting points, the Mitsubishi Outlander CVT transmission is often referred to as “single speed” or “gearless”. Just like the Mitsubishi Outlander, many other automakers, including Nissan, Subaru, and Hyundai have increased their use of CVT transmissions.
Read more: 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander Plug-In Hybrid
Manufacturers choose CVT not without reason. There are many advantages of using a CVT transmission. Here are the advantages of a vehicle using a CVT transmission.
- Noise reduction from the engine is not the same as a manual transmission or even an automatic transmission.
- Tremendous fuel economy improvements. This everyone admits to and there is no rebuttal at all.
- Change speed without the thrill of effort.
- Higher performance (strength and light weight) due to lower transmission weight due to the simple design of this technology.
- Better driving experience than using other types of transmission.
Mitsubishi Outlander Transmission CVT Problem
Now we begin to discuss the problems that exist in the Mitsubishi Outlander CVT transmission. Indeed, there are not many problems that occur in the Mitsubishi Outlander CVT. However, you also can’t ignore this because it will be annoying. What’s more, in some cases the problem can be fatal to the transmission as a whole. What are the problems?
Many Mitsubishi Outlander owners experience the following CVT transmission problems;
- The transmission feels hesitant to operate properly. Although this only lasted a few moments, there seemed to be no problem at all with the CVT transmission.
- The next problem with the Mitsubishi Outlander CVT is that the transmission seems to shake violently when accelerating. Especially when the vehicle is moving from a speed below 40 km per hour to a higher speed.
- In addition, not a few find that we will hear a loud crash when the vehicle slows down.
- The shift is difficult for us to move. This happens to some cars but is quite rare.
- There is a delay in accelerating. This is a result of the slow change in the ratio of the driven and driven pulleys.
From the many problems above, it turns out that several workshops have encountered the same source of problems. They found the source of the problem came from the following things;
- The steel belt on the Outlander CVT transmission slips so that the vehicle looks hesitant when going to work.
- In a long time, the vehicle will experience oil scale problems. The CVT transmission oil scale will be scaled along the hydraulic pressure circuit. The result is the same, which is usually a doubtful condition in CVT transmission.
- Not only in the flow of fluid pressure, but oil scale can also exist in various places in the transmission. It also causes the transmission to experience problems such as the transmission vibrating.
- An error occurred in the calibration of the CVT control unit. The presence of general electrical disturbances or forgetting to calibrate after repairing the transmission is the most common of these causes. However, damage to the CVT control module can also occur.
- One more thing, the cooling system of the CVT Outlander transmission is disturbed, not good, or using the wrong fluid can also cause the CVT Outlander to be disturbed.
Symptoms of CVT Transmission Failure
The problems mentioned above did not come suddenly but also started with something. We call this a symptom – failure or breakdown of the CVT transmission. Apart from the initial signs, there are usually other problems that accompany the above problems. In the following sections are the symptoms of CVT transmission failure to work but these are common symptoms.
- There is a shift in the pause. Hesitating, brief pauses, or staggering when the vehicle is switching between parking, driving, and reversing.
- Loss of power. The vehicle momentarily loses power during an acceleration event that should be constant, smooth, and increasing in speed.
- Fluctuations in engine speed. Inconsistent changes through the rev band when driving the vehicle at a constant speed.
- Unbelievably loud sound. Excessive roar during acceleration, exceeding the normally higher CVT sound level.
Perhaps there are many other symptoms. You can add it in the comments column to improve and increase our knowledge together through this article.
Mitsubishi Outlander Transmission CVT Problem Solution
After we know the problem that occurs including the symptoms, it’s time to discuss how to solve the problem. I will try to describe them one by one even though many have missed the knowledge of this article. So, reading service books service manuals and other articles will also help you complete knowledge about this problem.
Here’s the solution to the Mitsubishi Outlander transmission problem according to our knowledge.
- To overcome the doubtful transmission, you can start by checking the amount of your CVT Outlander fluid. Insufficient amounts of oil or poor quality oil can also cause problems. If it’s still the same, the problem is most likely from a clogged control fluid. This is quite complicated and you should take it to a repair shop you trust.
- Vibrating transmission can be overcome by improving the CVT fluid flow control section. In addition, this problem can also occur due to damage to the bearing on the transmission pulley shaft. For this problem, if you are not a professional, you should take it to a repair shop. This problem is quite heavy or quite heavy because it has to disassemble the CVT to solve it. Replace the bearings and clean the components that have crusted oil to make the CVT return to normal.
- The hard impact is usually due to slippage of the CVT steel belt. It’s simple when slipping, the change in the ratio of the two pulleys will occur suddenly and this will result in a loud bang. This loud jolt will then feel like a collision by us who are in the car.
- The shift is difficult to move, usually due to control unit calibration problems. Try to do a scan and clear error data or do a calibration. If this is still the same, try checking the control unit. Most likely the control unit has a problem.
- For transmission that feels hampered during acceleration similar to part 1. This can be from a fluid quality problem, fluid amount, or fluid channel.
We have not found beyond the problems mentioned above. For case number 3., for example, we have to replace the steel belt with a new one. Many do not want to replace the steel belt with a new one. They prefer one new CVT package at a time. Indeed, not everyone can replace a steel belt, even if it’s an official workshop.
The Mitsubishi Outlander CVT transmission is like any other CVT transmission. It has weaknesses that are also almost the same as CVTs from other manufacturers. To avoid the problem of damage faster and more severe, then CVT treatment is clearly unavoidable. This should be a regular schedule more than the Outlander engine maintenance schedule itself.
To share, please comment in the comments column. Can share, ask, refute, or do other. As long as it all builds then we will be very happy to receive it.